Who hasn’t had their dog give them a tender look when there’s food nearby? Well, watch out! Because there are a number of foods you should never give your dog.

Dogs are the most faithful companions in the world. However, no matter how much they insist, you must not make a mistake of feeding them the same food you eat.

The digestive system of dogs has specific characteristics that make dogs sensitive to certain substances, so it is important that you take care of what your furry one consumes—both while you’re watching them and they’re home alone.

To avoid scares and illnesses, today we’ll tell you what foods can severely affect your pet’s health.

What foods can’t dogs eat?

Dairy

Dogs do not have the enzyme that allows lactose to break down, so dairy can cause intestinal problems, such as gas and diarrhea.

The only healthy milk for dogs is the one they drink from their mother when they’re puppies. So, forget about giving him milk, cheese or ice cream!

Avocado

Although humans love this food, it is not a good choice for dogs because it has a toxin called persin that can cause problems ranging from mild upset stomach, to gastrointestinal problems, to mucus and shortness of breath.

Onion, garlic, leek, spring onion

If your dog consumes these foods for a long time, they can cause anemia, as they have a substance called thiosulphate that kills dogs’ red blood cells.

Of these foods the most toxic is garlic, so it is best to not include it in your dog’s diet.

Stimulant drinks

All stimulant drinks such as: coffee, alcohol, tea, soft drinks and energy drinks are prohibited for dogs because they can intoxicate them and even cause them to die. Do not give them to your dogs!

When your pet ingests these types of substances, he or she may develop some of these symptoms: shortness of breath, vomiting, diarrhea, nervous system depression, tremors and lack of coordination.

Nuts

Almonds, peanuts, etc. should not be given to your dog. Although nuts help strengthen the human immune system, are harmful to dogs’ pancreas because of their high oil and fat content.

Chocolate

Cocoa has a substance that can poison your pet and damage their nervous system. Do not feed any form of chocolate to your dog as part of its diet.

When dogs eat chocolate, they may develop symptoms such as hyperactivity, vomiting, tremors, diarrhea, excessive thirst and shortness of breath. In the most severe cases they can have seizures, go into a coma, and die.

Grapes and raisins

This is one of the most toxic foods for dogs, although the reason is not very clear.

In general, grapes and raisins may cause vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, weakness, lack of appetite and even kidney failure.

Sweets

In controlled quantities there is no problem; but, in the long run, excessive sugar consumption can cause your dog to develop dental problems, become obese, and/or develop diabetes and vision loss.

There are sweeteners like xylitol that can also be harmful. So, think twice before rewarding your pet with a treat that’s intended for humans.

The heart and seeds of certain fruits

Humans usually discard apple, cherry, peach, or apricot seeds. Many times, those leftovers are eaten by dogs, and humans are unaware that it can be fatal to them.

These fruits contain seeds that have cyanide, a toxic substance for dogs. When dogs consume certain types of fruit seeds, it can cause shortness of breath, hyperventilation, seizures and even a coma.

Raw eggs and meats

When raw, these foods can be contaminated with bacteria such as Salmonella or Escherichia Coli, that cause food poisoning.

So, make sure that both the eggs and the meat you give your pet are cooked through, to reduce the risk of them getting sick.

Remember that each breed of dog is different. Check with a veterinarian to learn what your pet’s diet should look like to keep them happy and healthy.

Snacks / potato chips

These foods often are made with salt and dyes that can make your dog very thirsty (and afterward, want to urinate).

Also, if your furry baby ingests a large amount of sodium, he or she may get intoxicated and experience vomiting, diarrhea, an increase in temperature, and even depression.

Small bones

There is always a talk that dogs like to chew on bones and the truth is that this practice has many benefits. However, you have to pay close attention to what types of bones are given to them, especially when they are puppies.

Small cooked bones are very dangerous because they can get stuck in their throat and cause suffocation, or they can become lodged in some other part of the digestive system. If you decide to give your dog a bone, make sure it’s big and raw so it doesn’t splinter.

How to prevent your dog from eating forbidden foods

  • The first thing is to create healthy eating habits for yourself. Don’t offer your dog what you eat and be consistent with the eating plan that’s been recommended by the vet.
  • Store unsafe food in a safe place. You want to make sure your pet can’t access it.
  • Teach your pet not to eat food he or she finds on the floor—and to spit it out when asked.
  • Prevent others from feeding your dog without your supervision.
  • Let all family members know what foods your dog can’t eat.

Note: If you know that your dog has consumed some of the foods on the list, we advise you, contact your veterinarian as soon as possible and provide him/her with as much information as possible. This will allow your vet to determine the right treatment for your furry partner.

0 Shares:
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like